So I know I make Roatan sound like it’s all rainbows and unicorns, right? Well here’s your balancing article, all you naysayers…
We are currently on Day 7 of no internet at home. You want to know why? Here’s the rundown:
- Tuesday evening: internet is no longer working. Router seems confused and keeps blinking lights at us, but never the correct ones.
- Wednesday morning: I call the internet company for help. I speak to someone whose English is less than stellar and – simply because I’m lazy – I don’t speak in Spanish. But we come to the conclusion that an order has been submitted for a technician to come to the house.
- Thursday morning: no technician yet, so I call again. Apparently my amigo was confused by my Boston accent and no order was submitted. Now kicking myself for not having confirmed what was apparently only MY conclusion en español. “Please submit the order now and can you tell them it’s been two days?” “Yes, ma’am, someone will be there within 24 hours.” “Will they call me first?” “Yes, ma’am.”
- Friday: crickets. But I’m out of the house anyway so it’s a moot point since I can’t let him into the house to fix it, and Lina has yet to learn how to unlock the doors (luckily?). But I kind of thought if they called I could race home to let them in.
- Saturday morning: “Heyyyy guys, I’m still waiting for a technician to come to my house.” “Oh, he should be there soon, so keep your phone by you.” Soon. That’s akin to mañana. Which means someday after today.
- Sunday: no technicians on Sunday.
- Monday: “Heyyyy guys, I’m still waiting for a technician to come to my house.” “Oh, it’s a holiday, so no technicians today!” Whoops. I forgot.
- Tuesday: “Heyyyy guys, I’m still waiting for a technician to come to my house. Please?” “Maybe he can come today.” I’m still optimistic! There are a few hours left in the day yet!
C’est la vie. We’re not dying, I have internet on my phone (which is where I’ve typed this whole thing), and there is ample wifi in West End. This is not the end of the world, although it does make my whole “work from home” thing more challenging! Of course, if I’d remembered that yesterday was a holiday I wouldn’t have waited at home all day for my mystery technician to arrive. Alas, I forgot, so I’ve built up quite a number of Word documents – which luckily don’t require the internet – and I will post or email them as soon I am back on the grid. Sometime mañana.
In the meantime, I’ve watched Lina try to chomp a fly that’s been taunting her for the last 15 minutes, so there’s that…
BONUS: We also haven’t had hot water since Thursday, though that is being actively worked on. So, um, cold showers are great, right? At least that’s what I keep telling myself as the air escapes my lungs every time I try to bathe. Which, FYI, I haven’t done as regularly, guys, so you may want to steer clear of my house for a while. Besides, I have no internet so you would be bored if you came over. It’s not like there’s a beautiful beach or a relaxing hammock nearby or anything.
Hey, does a dip in the ocean count as bathing?
Happy Tuesday, all!